Newsletter 12th September


The new safety boat has arrived – a 3.7m rigiflex boat. All we need now is a suitable engine! 10 or 15 hp in good condition. Any sponsors out there? – ideas please contact me. €2925 buys a new Yamaha 15hp. In the meantime we can use a borrowed 5hp if the weather is calm enough.

Sailing on Saturday was not feasible due to the wind conditions then so a group of us took down the Vanguard masts and moved the boats inside in expectation of last night and todays wind.

We also moved other boats in to better shelter.

The unit needs some tidying up before we move in properly so we are having a work party tomorrow Tuesday evening 7.30pm to move the Vanguards back out again and to clean up the unit and make it useable.

Ciaran is to bring his trailer to load the rubbish onto and take it to the Liosbaun facility.

Any help much appreciated – bring a brush.

Despite the wind the Rib Challenge teams had a useful practice session in the docks on Saturday after having a theory session with Ciaran. We have 7 youngsters signed up – if we had another two we could field three teams. The regional heats were postponed from yesterday to Sunday 25th Sept in Clifden so we have time for more training next weekend. – contact Ciaran Oliver 0872807028 or

We now have three large inflatable course marks donated by Pierce Purcell of Purcell Marine in Clarinbridge – many many thanks Pierce. These will enable us to make our sailing more interesting by introducing a friendly racing element and, of course, sailing a course improves one’s ability to close haul, tack, gybe, reach and run.

We hope to continue sailing on Saturday mornings through Sept and October. If you have a boat still stored away please dig it out and join us.

Membership fees for the rest of the year will be half the full yearly rate.

In hopes of a quieter autumn than today!

Nancy Roe